Home Care For You

Our Experts
About Us

ContactHome Care For YOU Home




alternative medic ...

bones and joints













infectious diseas ...



mens health





patient rights


physical therapy


senior care


sleep disorders







financial health

pet relationships

physical fitness

plant therapy



meet the authors

Bookmark and Share

Lurking dangers for your pet
Lurking dangers for your pet Commonly used products like bleach, all-purpose cleaners, and other disinfectants can cause chemical burns on petsí skin and can be toxic if ingested.

Household products that people use every day can pose threats to a petís health, according to Dr. Susan Nelson, a Kansas State University veterinarian. Commonly used products like bleach, all-purpose cleaners, and other disinfectants can cause chemical burns on petsí skin and can be toxic if ingested. These injuries often happen because pets encounter the cleanser after the bottle spills on them or they walk on a freshly washed floor or bathtub. Dogs or cats that walk on these types of surfaces can get burns on their paws. In addition, licking their paws or fur can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, she said.

Many human foods are dangerous for pets. The top foods on this list are chocolate, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, and garlic. Also, be aware of moldy and spoiled food, too, and keep trashcans covered because dogs will eat anything. The best way to prevent such burns is to make sure that surfaces are completely dry before letting pets come in contact with them and to tightly recap cleaning product bottles after using them. And, just as with children, donít forget to put such products where pets canít get to them.

All dogs are prone to chewing on objects; and dogs with separation anxiety and puppies have an even greater tendency to do this. They may even chew on cleaning product bottles. The best thing to do is make sure that all cleaning products are put away and out of reach of pets. And, always remember to read the warning labels and instructions on all household cleansers before using them.Ē

It is important to remember that pets, especially dogs, are not discriminating about what they will try to eat. It is not uncommon for dogs to swallow human medications, like anti-anxiety pills or pain medication such as aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Sometimes pets may just want to chew on the medicineís bottle and end up accidentally swallowing some of the pills, which can lead to gastrointestinal issues and organ failure.

Call your veterinarian first before taking any type of action. Know the exact type and how much of the medication the pet swallowed, if possible. Sometimes we will advise owners to induce vomiting at home, but it is done on a case-by-case basis, so always call before doing anything.

Pet owners need to be cautious of any flavored medication that their pet may currently be taking. These medications smell and taste good for pets, so if they are left out they will most surely be eaten.

Other common household dangers that owners might not think about are things like electrical cords, batteries, cigarettes and certain houseplants. Electrical cords can be especially hazardous to young pets who like to chew on things. If a pet chews batteries, the battery acid can burn its mouth and be toxic if ingested.

Common houseplants like philodendron and dieffenbachia are also toxic to pets if ingested, she said lilies can be especially dangerous to cats. Even the pollen of a lily can be harmful if it falls on a catís fur and is then licked off.

Another thing to worry about is secondhand smoke. Cats with owners who smoke are twice as likely to develop malignant lymphoma as cats with non-smoking owners. Also, be aware of cigarette butts that are left out because pets can develop nicotine poisoning if these are ingested.

Antifreeze is another potential danger for pets, especially for those who spend a lot of time outdoors or in the garage. Sometimes antifreeze will leak from a car onto the floor or into an existing puddle of water and pets may unintentionally drink it. A small amount of ingested antifreeze can be fatal to a dog or cat, causing the kidneys to shutdown.

Always keep antifreeze tightly sealed and out of reach of pets. You also should check your vehicle frequently for antifreeze leaks. You should always make sure your pet has fresh drinking water available. However, the temptation to drink antifreeze will still be there, so prevention is key.

Other harmful products that may be found outside the home or in the garage include fertilizer and insecticides. Certain types of fertilizer can cause skin irritation to pets. If a pet ingests fertilizer or insecticides, there is a risk of gastrointestinal distress or even death in some instances.

Again, follow the label instructions and keep these products out of reach. If you think your dog or cat has been exposed, be sure to bring in the product label to the veterinarian. It is much easier to treat a pet if we know exactly what chemical they got into.

If your pet is exposed to a dangerous material and you cannot reach your veterinarian, there are poison control hotlines specifically for pets. Dr. Nelson suggests the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals poison control hotline at 888-426-4435. You can also visit the societyís Web site at http://www.aspca.org for more information. This information is also available at www.radthemag.com by clicking on this article.

printer friendly page  · 

Keeping Your Pets Sa...

Your Petís Greatest ...

Homeless ďJohnĒ Gets...

Can your pet DiagĒn...

How to plan a safe a...

Keep Your Pets Safe,...

How we can help our ...

Lurking dangers for ...

No Fireworks for Fid...

Keeping your Geriatr...

Whatís For the Birds...

Animal Abuse Linked ...

Disaster preparation...


No Animals Were Harm...

Heat Stroke and your...

Betty Whiteís love a...

Life Lessons from Pa...

Doctors & Vets... Wo...

Pets and People, a h...

A Healthy Relationsh...