Knowing the risk factors for a stroke may save your life. Try this quick stroke awareness quiz. If you answered yes to a majority of the questions, your risk factor for a stroke is much greater and you should check with your doctor.
If you witness someone with the following signs of a stroke, call 911 immediately.
- Is your blood pressure more than 135/85? High blood pressure is a leading cause of stroke.
- Do you have atrial fibrillation?
- Do you smoke cigarettes?
- Do you drink alcohol beyond moderation?
- Is your cholesterol high?
- Do you have diabetes? Is it under control?
- Do you exercise for 30 minutes a day?
- Do you enjoy a low sodium (salt) diet? This can lower your blood pressure and reduce your risk for stroke.
- Do you have circulation problems?
- Numbness or weakness of face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Confusion or trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance or coordination
- Severe headache with no known cause.